DWI services in Concord, NC.
Summer is here. How do you stay sober? The summer weather, outdoor bars, seeing people drinking wine on their decks, vacations, and baseball games can all be triggers. Some family members will not understand and will share, “You’ve been clean for a while now…you can have just one!” In addition to outdoor activities social media can be a big trigger. Beware of how much time you spend on the internet. Often, the brain is only able to recall the euphoria that alcohol or drugs caused, but you need to play the whole tape through.
Tips for a sober summer…
1. Come early and leave early. Typically, heavy drinking occurs a few hours into the party.
2. Check your motivation for attending the party. Why do you really want to go?
3. Drive your own car. Then you can leave when you want to leave and you’re not dependent on someone else.
4. Go with a sober or supportive friend. Bring a friend or family member that is sober or supportive. Then develop a code word or a look that means it’s time to go!
5. Always have a drink in your hand. Then you can avoid the question, “Can I get you something to drink?” or someone handing you a beer.
6. Avoid, “people pleasing”, don’t risk your sobriety and happiness to make someone else happy!
7. Vacationing? Pick a destination that will have limited triggers present, look for meetings in advance, and take a supportive friend or family member along.
Give us a call today for additional information and sober activities, 704-782-3050.
Alanna is the Owner and Clinical Director of Breathe., LLC. Alanna is a Licensed Clinical Addictions Specialist, Registered Yoga Instructor, and Certified Heartmath Trainer. Alanna has over 14 years of experience working in the addictions field. Alanna takes a holistic approach when working with clients, combining the mind, body, and spirit in counseling.